Sunday, September 30, 2012

We Can Pray for Anything

In sunday school today we had the priviledge of reading in 3 Nephi chapters 1 through 3.  Samuel the Lamanite stood on top of the wall and prophesied that Christ would be born.  He prophesied that the Savior would be born within a five year time frame, and he told the people of signs that they would see to let them know that Christ was going to be born.  The sign was that there would be no darkness in the night.  3 Nehpi 1-3 talks about that five year time period, and what was going on between the believers and the unbelievers  Now at this time, those who did not believe,  had decided that they were going to give a set date that the sign had to come to pass by, and if it didn't, all those who did believe Samuel's words, would be put to death.  Hearing this, Nephi went and prayed unto our Heavenly Father.  In 3 Nehpi 1: 13-14 is how Christ answers Nehpi's prayer, it reads;
               "13  Lift up your head and be of good cheer; for behold, the time is at hand, and on this       night shall the sign be given, and on the morrow come I into the world, to show unto the world that I will fulfil all that which I have caused to be spoken by the mouth of my holy prophets.
                 14  Behold, I come unto my own, to fulfil all things which I have made known unto the children of men from the foundation of the world, and to do the will, both of the Father and of the Son--of the Father because of me, and of the Son because of my flesh. And behold, the time is at hand, and this night shall the sign be given."
 
After we read those scriptures, my sunday school teacher asked us if the Savior came into the world the day and time he did because of Nephi's prayer, or if it was just because Nephi and those who believed had such great faith.  I thought about that for a minute, to which I said that Nephi wouldn't have gone and prayed if he didn't have faith to begin with.  My sunday school teacher then asked if I then believed that it was because of Nephi's prayer.  I said no, because the Lord has a plan for everything.  We then talked about how the day the Savior came into the world was set before Nephi's prayer.  We were then asked the question, "Then why was this verse put in the scriptures? What is this verse trying to teach us?"
What I got out of these verses is that we can ask the Lord for anything, whether big or small.
 
I know that I can pray to my Heavenly Father any time, in any place, and for any reason.  I know that he will always listen, and that he will always provide me with an answer to each and everyone of my prayers.  I know that he knows who I am and what I am going through.  He knows what I need and when I need it, so I will have faith in what he has in store for me. 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment